Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Not enough Protein? Please..........

       So time and time again I get told "your body will wilt away if you don't get the correct protein", I'm assuming that is animal protein they are talking about. Most people who tell me this are out of shape or supposedly former High School workout nuts that have put on a few pounds since. I think to myself, why would I want to take nutrition advice from somebody who has seen more of the inside of a potato chip bag, than of a gym.

       Its not as if I woke up yesterday and said "I'm going to be a Vegan". I have done alot of research before making this decision.Below you will find some of the things I have learned and applied to my own diet.

1. Nuts & Seeds
Nuts and seeds are very good sources of protein for vegans. Nuts provide plenty of protein, as well as other nutrients like vitamin A and E, phosphorus, potassium, fiber and essential fatty acids.

Examples- Almonds, Walnuts, Sunflower seeds, and Pumpkin Seeds (My personal Favorite)

2. Soybean Products
Soybeans derive between 35 to 38% of thier calories from protein. They are also high in Fiber, calcium, Iron and essential fatty acids.

Examples- Soy Milk, Soy Cheese, Tempah, Tofu and Miso

3.Wheat Grains
They are a good source of fiber, protein and complex carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.

Examples-  Wheaties, Wheat Pita Bread and Wheat Germ

4. Beans and Legumes
Beans and Legumes are a great source of fiber and protein, though calorie content varies according to type. Chickpeas contain about 45 calories per 1/2 cup, while the same serving of White Kidney Beans is 125 calories per serving. They are filled with Protein, folate, vitamin A, Iron, Potassium and Zinc.

Examples- Hummus, Black Beans, 3 Bean Casserole and Lentils.

I try not to take in too much protein, because I don't want to be a big over grown douche bag that is normally at Jacksonville Beach. With a steady diet of protein, complex carbs, Iron, Calcium and Omega 3 fatty acids I stay lean and am in the best shape of my life. My performance in the gym has improved immensely since the switch and I have been told my stamina, punching & kicking power has improved as well. So for all you old high school jocks, please put down the potato chips and grease filled cheeseburgers and stop with "You won't get enough protein" crap.Oh, did I make you mad, you should probably kick my ass, if you can catch me........


No comments:

Post a Comment